Thursday, February 22, 2007

This Oprah Winfrey Oscar Special is rediculous

Tonight's Oprah Winfrey Oscar Special advertises "First-Time Oscar Winners Go One-On-One" with three big interviews: First, Sidney Poitier will be interviewed by Jamie Foxx. Actually, I'm pretty sure those two have met before since Jamie Foxx thanked Oprah in his Oscar acceptance speech for introducing the two. Still, a discussion between the two might offer a lot.

Let's see who's next. Russell Crowe and Nicole Kidman. I'm not sure who's interviewing the other. This isn't really an interview from one person to his idol, it's just more like two peers chatting. They've never worked together, so maybe it's their first time chatting, but still if the theme was you could interview anyone, maybe you'd pick Shirley MacLaine, Elizabeth Taylor, Eva Marie Saint, Kirk Douglas, Ernest Borgnine, or some of the other great actors and actresses who are still alive (by the way, I know Kirk's award is only honorary and I'm sure there are five better examples of living oscar legends who are still alive but I can't think of that many off the top of my head, you get my point).

And that goes double for you, Julia Roberts. Roberts is going to be interviewing George Clooney in what I find extremely shameless. First of all, the two have already worked together in self-congratulatory films like Ocean's 11 and Ocean's 12 and she had a rather pointless role in his directing debut "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind," and added to the time I'm sure all three (George, Julia, and Oprah) spend chatting in his Italian Villa or whatever, I'm sure they've had enough time to get to know each other. Besides, the degree to which they both admire themselves and each other is evident through their half-baked collaborations with each other for the Ocean's movies and with Stephen Sodebergh (i.e. Full Frontal in which Julia Roberts is just playing herself and thinking her story about how she met and married a crewman on set is interesting enough for a movie). Clooney and Roberts' work with Sodebergh used to be good, but its dissolved into a group of people who are so happy to be in each other's company that they forget they have an audience to entertain. Good German, from what I understood, was an interesting experiment in using film stocks and what not, but I hear it wasn't particularly good as a movie (although mabybe someone has seen it and could post their opinions otherwise, I'd be open to hearing them).

By the way, now I'm going off on a tangent, but I notice that whenever Matt Damon was interviewed about Ocean's 12 and in his upcoming interviews on Ocean's 13 he always likes to stress "we're having fun on set, but we're working too. We realize that we have to be professional and we get to work every day," like he's covering up for playing hooky (sorry if I misspelt that, there's a movie on TCM i'm trying to catch so I'm hoping to wrap up this blog entry soon) from school.

Also, I'm not gonna say I'm sick and tired of George Clooney and I hate him, because I realize that it's just natural human tendency to feel that way about someone when they're a little over exposed, and I want to be aware that it's not so much him but his overexposure I'm getting tired of. I liked him in late 2005 when he had that successful run of 2 critical hits in the same year with Syrianna and Good Night and Good Luck, but I notice that all people ever do to George Clooney is shower him with praise. I don't think he's faced a remotely tough question in an interview lately. He gets lobbed the same questions: "Why do you go to Africa?" "Why do you make political movies?" (that's an easy one, rather than asking him IF he has political views, ask him ABOUT his political views) "How nice is your villa in Italy?" "Can I come?". Enough already.

No comments: