Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Now writing at TV Fanatic!

I wrote for TV Fanatic for a while in 2014 and 2015 but it didn't work out. I'm thrilled that I've recently been given a second chance to contribute editorials to the website and that's where a lot of my work has been going to leaving me less time to update this blog.



I wrote this essay about the TV show Ramy and how I felt like *spoiler alert* it dropped the ball at the end of a near-perfect season. The essay touches on how shows with comedians are a dime a dozen and it's hard to break away from that. It also touches on how shows (BoJack Horseman and Orange is the New Black as well) are reveling lately in male characters coping with past sins without much of a path forward or sense in-universe:

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2020/07/ramy-season-2-boasts-a-uniquely-introspective-character-despite/

This essay is about how shows maintain a distance from the current political climate even when they have something political to say. Why do they maintain such distance and how do they affect viewers if they're avoiding the issues? I touch a lot on Space Force and The Good Place here.

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2020/07/space-force-the-good-place-and-the-art-of-making-the-political-a/

This is essay came about because I was watching the Parks and Recreation reunion and remembering that the show in its later stages is just unwatchable to me. I found it too saccharine and artificially happy. So I posed the question: What if it stayed truer to its original tone? True, the first season was awkward but it had some good things going for it.

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2020/07/what-if-parks-and-recreation-had-stayed-closer-to-its-original-t/



Do the recent blackface and voice over controversies mean we should restrict art? I have written a lot of essays critical of the identity politics movement and wokeness and as that school of thought has accelerated beyond repair in the past two months, I felt the need to add my voice once more.

https://www.tvfanatic.com/2020/07/do-the-recent-blackface-and-voiceover-controversies-mean-we-shou/

No comments: