Thursday, March 29, 2012

American Dad voices

Blog News: I'm currently facing the conundrum of how to continue to pour my best efforts towards writing and support multiple endeavors. This blog does not pay (you can always fix that by donating or simply clicking on my examiner and gunaxin links where I do get paid per page view, but I've near given up on that) nor does it get the support in eyeballs to justify great efforts. At the same time, it is my blog and one of the first points of entry to familiarize someone with my work. If someone goes to this URL (which is on my business card) and sees a poorly-written entry at the top, he might not want to look further, which requires a demanding amount of work to proof and edit pieces. As a solution, I will try to be more bloggy and casual and borrow message board postings of mine to shorten the amount of effort. Thanks for those of you who do read (if you're out there, say hi). Onto the show

 I just started thinking about how difficult it must be for a cast to continue to find distinct sounding timbres every week to create new voices. I can't imagine I could do more than say 10 voices in me. When you have Roger doing an Al Pacino impression, that's an extra layer of depth to just doing an Al Pacino impression, for example, cause you have to filter it through Paul Lyde and come up with a rough approximation for how well Paul Lynde can cover Al Pacino.


Two of the smaller parts were played pretty excellently and added quite a bit. The guy who made the pizza begal (Jonah or Judah, I believe) was a unique creation as a nebbish tough man. Additionally, the drugged-out homeless guy added humor through distinction. He sounded like a cross between the two perverts in the Family Guy neighborhood (the old guy who preys on Chris and the guy with the earring who goes "oh no") but he was in a slightly higher ranger than the old guy and seemed a little more enthusiastic. It was a lesson in how you can create an interesting sounding voice with just a few minor tweaks.






If you listen really closely you can hear the occasional lapse. For me, there were three things that were pretty off to me from the last episode "Mo Money, More Problems":
1. The woman who said "This was my elbow" sounded kind of like a man.
2. The woman at the clinic who called Stan Rudy Huxtable sounded pretty much like Hailey. Also, she was black which isn't as big of a deal is that there was no differentiation between her and Hailey.
3. The women at the grocery store who Stan sold samples from sounded different when she went out to the parking lot than before. She also seemed entirely unenthusiastic about having Stan sample her food. She seemed near catatonic about it and I thought that was the character's little moment of humor: she's like a lot of grocery employees who care very little. Then, in the next scene she was passionate and aggressive.

No comments: