Thursday, January 21, 2010

Coming face-to-face with a Tarantino film for the first time

I wasn't sure what to expect from Inglorious Basterds. It was the first film by Tarantino that appealed to me because while I like film noir: a Japanese-inspired urban crime drama has been his last 4 or 5 films' themes if i'm not mistaken and none of them appealed to me. We had to watch Pulp Fiction for class but we watched it out of order and skipped major parts so it didn't resonate with me.

Anyways, I wanted to see this film because it is shot in the outdoors and i wanted to see how the cinematography would go. I also thought the idea of Tarantino tackling a period piece and putting his stamp on one of the most established genres he'd otherwise have no business belonging in was too irresistible to miss.

My impressions on Tarantino:
1. One of Tarantino's trademarks as I gather it is finding creative ways to kill people. That's never appealed to me, personally. I don't like blood and gore that much. If that's Tarantino's creative capital, what separates him from the pack, that's not something I'd be on board entirely. I think anything other than a rapid death is unneccessary cruel and inhumane and I don't see the point in celebrating it. I'm not so much disgusted by it, but I feel like it's equivalent to a director showing off how graphically he might be able to convincingly portray a dog-fighting ring.


2. He also likes to remain steadfast to his cultural cues even when not entirely organic to the film and that creates a personal stamp. I was thinking that the score seemed most out of place, along with some other things.

3. Another thing is really good dialogue. Who wouldn't appreciate that? The best dialogue writers tend to gravitate towards dramedies and melodramas: Jim Sheridan, Cameron Crowe, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Kenneth Longorean, Sophia Coppolla and Diablo Cody. How many of these scribes would take on an action film. Tarantino is the only one and that increases his value in Hollywood exponentially because action sells the best.

4. Suspense: because violence is really heavy
Suspense: because violence is really heavy and could be gruesome and we don't want characters to die too gruesome a death, the film's can be more suspenseful than they otherwise would have been.

No comments: