Saturday, December 18, 2021

Where I Got My Latest Round of Stories

The single most frequent question I get is “How do you get your stories?” My answer: Beyond the obvious means (developing beats and subscribing to wires), it’s simply a natural reflex developed over time of being more observant and conscious of what could be news when you come across an idea. That’s not to say that when you start thinking like a journalist, all of a sudden a meteor will land on your front lawn, BUT a journalist’s first thought when a meteor lands on their front lawn will be “How can I best turn this into a story?”

Recent story pitches of mine since returning from New Orleans in early November:
1. Coast Guard Vet Seeks to Write Screenplay to Highlight Branch of Military Service-
How I got the story: I participate in a discussion group once a month. In November, the theme was veterans on film and a couple veterans were invited to participate. One man was a Coast Guard veteran who had previously entered the Mike Nichols screenplay competition and wanted to write a film about the Coast Guard because so few military films have focused on that branch of service and so few people know what the Coast Guard does. Why I pursued it:  I felt this was a valid point and that this person’s quest could be accompanied by a historical context were certain branches of military actively cultivated their image through Hollywood. Plus, this should be good fodder to both film and military movies.
Where the Pitch Stands: I have not yet pitched it. It seems evergreen enough that it can wait. I did contact the subject and he readily gave me a really long biography
2. Afghan Translator Gains Refugee Status With Help of Virginia-Based Author; Arrives to McLean: How I got the story: I do work at the Archives in College Park Maryland and one day a man offered to give me a ride back when we both got out late and I missed the shuttle. On the way, he told me he had to stop and pick up a friend in Alexandria who got stopped by the police for attempting to bike on a highway. It turned out this man was an Afghan refugee who had been in the country just a couple weeks (not counting his initial point of entry at an army base) and was trying to file for his social security card. What’s more the man giving me a ride was an author who had used the translator when in Afghanistan and agreed to be his sponsor.
Why I pursued it: I thought it was an incredible and moving story. I also have been learning more about the region and the situation every second I talk to these two.
Where the Pitch Stands: Greenlit for a handsome price and I am working on it now. It will appear in Northern Virginia Magazine in February I believe.
3. Counselor to the Stars:
How I Found It: Like the situation above, this story came about when I was getting a ride from a couple. Getting out is good and in two cases, it’s been a blessing in disguise not to have a car. The wife in this couple is a counselor to a distance learning school that has been doing this style since before the pandemic. She has been a guidance counselor to Broadway stars, tennis prodigies, and Olympic hopefuls.
Why I pursued it: I write for an outlet that would be a good fit for it and I think it’s a really interesting take.
Where the Pitch Stands: At first, I had the problem of losing the subject’s contact information but I eventually tracked that down. She’s cleared it with her school. Now the problem is that an editor seemed on board with this one but I haven’t heard from him lately. Wish me luck in getting back in touch with him.
4. Virginian actress Tori Pence is Mormon famous:
How I got the story: I am a fan of a TV show called Studio C which is a family-friendly sketch comedy show run by a network that’s affiliated with BYU. The show caters primarily to Mormons and Utahans but because it’s on YouTube, it occasionally gets fans from outside those communities. One of the actors (one of the more talented ones in my opinion) said in an instagram chat that she was from Virginia which prompted me to pitch a place-based story to some Virginia contacts. Why I pursued it: I think it’s fascinating to write about a group of sketch actors with a very specific niche who are famous in certain communities but might not be known by the rest of the country (yet). I also am a fan of this particular actress.   Where the Pitch Stands: I’ve pitched this to one newspaper I haven’t heard from and I’m easing into this one slowly. The network’s  PR person said he’d contact Tori on my behalf so we’re still waiting on this
5. Abundance of Jewish A Capella Groups at the University of Maryland
How I got the story: Looking for Channukah options, I went to my synagogue’s annual holiday party and the entertainment was an a capella group from UMD. At the end of the concert, I talked to them and they said they were one of three Jewish a capella groups.
Why I pursued it: I just think three groups on one campus is interesting and it felt like it was worth a shot to pitch it. I also enjoy a capella music and have written about it before
Where the pitch stands: I have a feeling there’s only one publication that this would be a good fit for and I pitched it there. So far the editor hasn’t committed yet but I’m not getting my hopes up.
6.  Local Piano YouTube Star
How I Found It: Basically, there was a jazz song I wanted to see covered on piano. In my search, I fell in love with the style of a certain player with a large YouTube following. I felt like I hit the lottery when I saw in the video description that she requests fan mail be sent to her apartment in Alexandria, VA. Why I pursued it: I love the piano and think the sudden fame and the different metrics by which you measure life success as a YouTube star must be doubly interesting as a classically trained pianist. Where the pitch stands: I got it green lit but sadly have not back from the piano player herself yet. Darn celebrities
7. Something Something West Side Story
How I Found It: I watched the film. Duh
Why I Pursued it: I revel in writing center-left analysis of pop culture and there were some things that struck me strongly. Because the police are much tamer in comparison to the 1961 film and don’t figure in to the conflict as much, I was originally thinking that West Side Story could be called a Blue Lives Matter. Then I started thinking that the heavy reception of this is a celebration against cancellation despite the fact that it’s been praised by so many liberal groups. Where the Pitch Stands:  I don’t have too much confidence that the couple outlets I am aiming for will pick it up. I wrote a little for a conservative magazine before and they just changed their editors so I think if I bombard them with the best of my previously pitched material and some topical stuff like this, they might at least respond with what they’re looking for and I can better get in the door. I also think if I write something good, I can just circulate it around everywhere

No comments: